Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah denied on Monday that the Lebanese group received chemical weapons from Syria.
“This accusation is truly laughable,” he said in a televised speech, referring to charges that Syria’s government had transferred chemical weapons to the group,according to Reuters news Agency.
The charges had “dangerous consequences for Lebanon,” he said.
“We decisively and conclusively deny these accusations which have absolutely no basis in truth,” he was quoted as saying by Reuters.
The Syrian National Coalition accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government of transferring chemical weapons to Hezbollah to escape inspection.
Last June the opposition Free Syrian Army (FSA) reported that chemical weapons were used on Wednesday in a Damascus town by Hezbollah fighters and forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.
Nasrallah also urged Saudi Arabia and other supporters of the Syrian opposition to instead back a political settlement reported Agence France Presse.
“Review your positions. The situation has begun to take on very serious dimensions in Syria,” he said. “You are betting on a failed military option… The solution is political, and political dialogue,” he was quoted as saying.
The leader of Hezbollah also accused the countries of blocking the path to political dialogue and instead supporting “military solutions that would be devastating to Syria and others.”
He also accused Saudi Arabia of supporting “tens of thousands of foreign fighters coming from all over the world” to fight against Syrian government forces according to AFP.
“Are they not occupying Syria?” he asked.
Hezbollah’s fighters are fighting in Syria alongside Assad’s forces.
Under a U.S.-Russian deal Syria will give up its chemical weapons, after Western powers accused Assad’s government of carrying out a chemical attack that killed a thousand of people in a Damascus suburb last month.
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter