President Bashar al-Assad’s Political Advisor, Bouthaina Shaaban, said on Tuesday that the video released online showing the beheading of the American journalist James Foley was not new, adding that the video was recorded by militants of the Islamic State nearly one year ago.
“The beheading of Foley took place one year ago, but the video was recently released,”Shaaban told BBC, adding that the United Nations “is aware of that”.
According to Shaaban, IS extremists intended to keep the video for emergency situations, explaining that the al-Qaeda offshoot felt the mounting danger of the U.S. air strikes on their positions in Iraq and Syria, that’s why the video was published online now.
However, Philip Balboni, the CEO and co-founder of GlobalPost, where the beheaded journalist James Foley used to work, strongly undermined the claims of the Syrian regime.
“These claims are incorrect and contradict the evidence we have at the moment,” Balboni said, mentioning the testimonies of some recently released hostages who were held with Foley and saw him last month.
Source: ARA News, Agencies
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter