Istanbul, Turkey – Head of the Interim Syrian Government, Ahmad Tohme, said Thursday that the U.S. plan to train the “moderate” Syrian armed opposition will begin early next month, adding that the leaders of the Syrian National Coalition (SNC) (main opposition body) and the interim government met a U.S. General in charge of this operation.
Tohme stressed in an interview with the Anadol news agency that the commander of the Joint Mission Force of Syria’s operations, Gen. Michael Nagata, met last week with the leading members of the coalition and the interim government in Istanbul, and an agreement was reached regarding the training process.
The head of the interim government added that the United States has sent 400 military trainers to begin the process and the project in February 2015, and will continue for several months.
“This step aims to change the military reality on the ground in order to serve the interests of the Syrian people,” Tohme said, pointing out that the program will be put in place in those states neighboring Syria that are interested in the Syrian Revolution’s success.
The United States has approved a plan for training and arming the “moderate” Syrian opposition over three years, as part of Obama’s strategy to eliminate the Islamic State radicals.
Reporting by: Mohammed Nasser
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter