Hundreds of barrel bombs hit Syrian residential areas in January

d7e999e7-8421-4d24-a4eb-bc3bef630e75_16x9_600x338.jpg

A man carries a boy that survived shelling after what activists said were explosive barrels thrown by forces loyal to Syria's president Bashar Al-Assad in Al-Shaar neighbourhood of Aleppo. File photo

ARA News

Qamishli, Syria – The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights documented “2014 airstrikes” by the Syrian regime’s warplanes on several areas in Syria, during January 2015.

The observatory said in a report that the pro-regime helicopters used more than 1083 barrel bombs targeting several areas in the cities, towns and villages of the provinces of Damascus, Idlib, Homs, Hasakah, Daraa, Aleppo, Latakia, Deir ez-Zor, Quneitra and Hama, while the regime’s warplanes carried out at least 931 raids against these areas. 

At least 271 civilians were reported dead in January, including 50 children, 37 women over the age of 18, and 184 men, as well as injuring approximately 1,000 others, dozens of whom were permanently disabled after being critically wounded.

The raids led to significant damage to private property, as well as the death of at least 190 rebel fighters, including the Islamic factions, the al-Nusra Front’s fighters (Al-Qaeda branch in Syria) and the Islamic State group (IS/ISIS) in several areas across Syria.

The Syrian Kurdish activist, Jihad Ahmed, commented on the development, telling ARA News that Bashar al-Assad’s regime “continues to commit massacres against the Syrian people under international cover, killing civilians and children in Syrian cities as well as destroying the homes and property of thousands of civilians”.

He also referred to the massacre committed by the Syrian regime’s bombing of the sheep market in the village of Khansa in the countryside of the town of Tel Hamis, in southern Qamishli, last month, killing more than 75 people and injuring dozens others. 

Ahmed appealed to the international community and the United Nations to take serious measures to reduce these indiscriminate attacks committed by Bashar al-Assad’s regime against Syrians through the use of barrel bombs and missiles.

The pro-Assad warplanes and helicopters continued launching rockets and barrel bombs on several cities and towns in Syria on Monday. At least eight civilians were reported dead and dozens others injured in the city of Khan Shaykhun in Idlib province.

 

Reporting by: Dilshad Mohammed

Source: ARA News

For the latest news follow us on Twitter

Join our Weekly Newsletter

Shortlink:

Related Items

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 × 5 =

Top