CIZRE – Dozens of people have been killed during a Turkish military operation in the southeastern town of Cizre since a curfew was imposed a week ago.
On Thursday, the pro-Kurdish People’s Democratic Party (HDP) said in a statement that 21 civilians have died over a week of Turkish curfew.
Selahattin Demirtas, the co-chairman of the HDP, has been leading fellow deputies and dozens of supporters on a march to Cizre to end the curfew and draw attention to the plight of its 120,000 residents.
“It is not possible to go out and buy bread, water is coming to an end and there is no electricity,” the HDP quoted Demirtas as saying on Thursday on the road to the city.
“In Cizre, 120,000 people have been held hostage by the state for a week.”
Demitas said that the corpses of young girls and boys caught in the crossfire could not even be buried.
“They put ice on the corpses to stop them putrefying. Because burials are banned.”
However, the Turkish army denied killing civilians, saying that most of the dead in Cizre are PKK supporters.
Turkish interior minister Selami Altinok said on Thursday that at least 30 Kurdish fighters and one civilian had been killed in the clashes since last Friday.
The Turkish authorities said they launched the operation and imposed the curfew on Cizre to eliminate Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) fighters.
Altinok said that the curfew, which is now in its seventh day, would be continued as long as required and insisted it was in line with the law.
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter