ALEPPO – Militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) on Wednesday waged a major offensive on positions of the Syrian rebels in villages and towns recaptured from the group last week in the northern Syrian province of Aleppo, military sources reported.
Speaking to ARA News in Aleppo, the rebel commander Saleh Zein said that fighters from the Levant Front in conjunction with the Halab Operation Chamber were able to repel the “deadliest” attack launched by ISIS terrorists in the northern countryside of Aleppo.
“The terror group tried to break into the region from several fighting fronts, including the villages Oum al-Qura, al-Kafra and the town of Dalha,” he added.
The terror group was able at last to seize al-Kafra after fierce clashes with rebels, according to the rebel commander.
“At least 15 rebel fighters lost their lives during the ISIS-led offensive, while our fighters killed six ISIS terrorists in Wednesday’s clashes,” Zein said, arguing that ISIS’s advance came after the Russian warplanes bombed several locations belonging to the rebels in the area.
The rebel commander pointed out that ISIS continued its bombardment on the town of Marea for the second consecutive day. The group targeted the town with several Grad rockets.
“The group also tried to break into the Dalha town near the Syrian-Turkish border –which fell to the rebel group of Sultan Murad Brigade ten days ago.”
The Sultan Murad Brigade includes Turkmen fighters who are heavily supported by the Turkish government.
ISIS has clearly declined over the last two weeks and lost several key villages and towns near the Syrian-Turkish border, including the towns of Dalha and Harjala.
However, the group was able to fight back on Tuesday and Wednesday after Russian and Syrian warplanes intensified their airstrikes on rebel positions, especially those held by the Levant Front in northern Aleppo.
Reporting by: Taim Khalil
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter