URFA – At least 33 members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) were killed on Thursday in renewed clashes with the Turkish army in the Kurdish southeast.
The Turkish army said in a statement that Thursday’s clashes centered in the southeastern provinces of Şırnak and Diyarbakir.
In Şırnak, clashes renewed on Thursday evening between the PKK and Turkish army forces in the vicinity of the war-torn towns of Cizre and Silopi, where 29 Kurdish rebels were killed.
The Turkish authorities claimed that 391 Kurdish fighters have been killed so far in the military operations in Şırnak province.
In Diyarbakir, the Turkish troops clashed with PKK fighters in the town of Sur, where four Kurdish fighters were reported dead.
According to the army statement, 108 PKK fighters have been killed so far in the army campaign in the town of Sur.
On the other hand, Kurdish activists reported the death of dozens of civilians at the hands of the Turkish army troops over the past few weeks.
“The Turkish army avoids mentioning the civilian casualties in its brutal campaign against the Kurdish region,” civil rights activist Ehmed Hokenek told ARA News in Cizre.
“The Turkish bombardment has caused mass displacement among civilians, destruction of infrastructures and death of more than 50 civilians in Cizre alone,” Hokenek said. “The casualties are carefully documented, and our teams are trying to do the same in other Kurdish provinces, with a hope that the international community would ever take action and stop this brutal military campaign against the Kurds.”
Reporting by: Jan Nasro
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter