ERBIL – Militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) renewed their attacks against Iraqi army positions in Anbar province, impeding the latter’s progress, officials and media sources reported on Wednesday.
Although the Iraqi army units in Anbar received military reinforcements earlier this week, ISIS was able to force the army to retreat from main headquarters in the suburb of Ramadi, capital of Anbar province.
“Daesh (ISIS) launched four suicide attacks on the army positions in Zankur district west of Anbar, causing dozens of casualties among the Iraqi troops,” official spokesman of the Anbar media office, Khalid al-Anbari, told ARA News on Wednesday.
“At least 20 Iraqi soldiers were killed and 25 more were wounded in a series of suicide attacks and explosion of car bombs in the western suburb of Ramadi,” the source said.
Al-Anbari added that the army units were forced to evacuate their headquarters in Zankur and Sufiyah in Ramadi to avoid further losses.
This comes just a mont after the Iraqi central government announced the liberation of Ramadi from ISIS militants. However, the group still holds several areas in the province, and has recently intensified its attacks on the positions of the Iraqi army.
Reporting by: Sarbaz Yousef
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter