Syrian opposition confirms participation in Geneva peace talks

249981c4928245c49a83b976a6fc980b-620x330.jpg

U.N. special envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura. File photo

GENEVA – The main Syrian opposition group of the Higher Negotiating Committee (HNC) agreed on Friday to participate in the Geneva-based Syrian peace talks after receiving assurances from the United Nations on humanitarian issues. 

The HNC said in a statement it was boycotting the talks until it received an official response from the United Nations about a list of concerns. 

“The High Negotiations Committee (HNC) decided to participate in the Geneva talks after receiving American and United Nations guarantees,” al-Hadath channel quoted the HNC statement as saying. 

The HNC member Farah Atassi said the delegation is coming “not to negotiate” but to talk to U.N. officials after receiving reassurances from the organization.

The United Nation’s Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura, who met on Friday Syria’s U.N. ambassador Bashar Ja’afari in Geneva, said he had “good reason to believe” that the main Syrian opposition group would join the Geneva peace talks Sunday.

De Mistura said he was still waiting for “formal indication” that the opposition coalition will attend the talks.

He spoke to journalists at the U.N. headquarters after meeting with the Syrian government delegation. The head of the government delegation, Syria’s U.N. ambassador Bashar Ja’afari, walked out of that meeting without commenting to the waiting press corps.

The indirect talks are part of a process outlined in a U.N. resolution last month that envisages an 18-month timetable for a political transition in Syria, including the drafting of a new constitution and elections.

The opposition is facing ongoing disputes over which parties will attend and has come under criticism for including the militant Army of Islam group that controls wide areas near Damascus and is considered a terrorist organization by the Syrian government and Russia.

The HNC said earlier it was still waiting for an official response from the United Nations about a list of concerns.

Ahmad Ramadan, a senior official with the Syrian National Coalition, which is part of the HNC, said the opposition would boycott the talks until it received assurances on the implementation of U.N. Security Council resolutions on lifting the sieges on rebel held areas and halting bombardment of civilians in Syria.

“There cannot be any negotiations as long as the humanitarian issues have not been discussed or implemented,” he said.

Basma Kodmani, a member of the opposition’s negotiating team, said the HNC was studying whether their delegation would come to Geneva to raise these concerns with the U.N. officials or stay in Saudi Arabia where they can raise them from a distance.

Ramadan said that de Mistura sent a letter on Thursday to the head of the HNC, Riad Hijab, which was deemed unsatisfactory. He said the U.N. envoy wrote that the opposition’s demands were reasonable and that humanitarian issues should be “above negotiations,” but that he was powerless to implement them himself, adding that negotiations were the best way to force everyone to implement those resolutions.

Opposition figures from outside the HNC are in Geneva but they were invited as advisers. The HNC is supposed to be the main opposition group in the talks.

A Western diplomat in close contact with the HNC said in Geneva that “their (HNC) main message to us has been while we are under sustained attack by Russia and the regime and other states and militants and other groups we cannot justify to Syrians why we are going.”

“They understand the risk of not attending any process which has international support or oversight, but at the same time they are acutely aware of the risk of going to negotiations which is not on terms favorable to them or their communities,” said the diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“We tell them the reason to come here is not to hand the Assad regime a propaganda victory,” he said.

De Mistura said Thursday that the peace talks he plans to launch in Geneva “in the next few days” are an opportunity not to be missed.

Agencies 

For the latest news follow us on Twitter

Join our Weekly Newsletter

Shortlink:

Related Items

2 thoughts on “Syrian opposition confirms participation in Geneva peace talks”

  1. Rodney says:

    When will sanctions be placed on the USA/Britain/Qatar/Turkey and the Saudi’s because there moderates?? refuse to try to find a Political solution.

  2. Rodney says:

    Your comments don’t work correctly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sixteen − 3 =

Top