Dozens of Syrian army forces killed in ISIS-led offensive in Aleppo

20151016_112955_0.jpg

Syrian army forces are seen during clashes with Islamist rebels in Aleppo. File photo

ARA News 

ALEPPO – Militant fighters of the Islamic State (ISIS) on Thursday launched an offensive on positions of the Syrian regime’s army in Aleppo province, killing and wounding dozens of soldiers.

ISIS launched two car bomb attacks at Syrian army bases in the towns of Afsh and Tal Maksur in the eastern countryside of Aleppo, before firing dozens of mortar shells on the army positions.

“At least 35 Syrian soldiers were killed and dozens more wounded in the offensive on Thursday,” local media activist Hussein al-Dahir told ARA News in Aleppo.

The Syrian army had recaptured the towns of Afsh and Tal Maksur earlier this week subsequent to clashes with Islamist rebels.

“Both towns were announced as military zones for the regime’s troops. ISIS launched its offensive after reports about large military reinforcements arriving in Afsh and Tal Maksur,” the informed source said. 

Also on Thursday, clashes broke out between ISIS fighters and Syrian army troops in the vicinity of Khanasir-Athriya highway in Aleppo –which is considered the main supply route for the regime’s army in the province.

The clashes left casualties on both sides, before the withdrawal of ISIS fighters towards their headquarters in eastern Aleppo on Thursday evening. 

Reporting by: Taim Khalil

Source: ARA News 

For the latest news follow us on Twitter

Join our Weekly Newsletter

Shortlink:

Related Items

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

3 × 5 =

Top